It is not uncommon for an aging person to require some form of long-term care after a debilitating illness or surgery. Also, when an older person is no longer able to live alone, long-term care may be the only choice left.  If this care involves a skilled nursing facility, Medicare may pay for some of the cost for a certain period of time. However, it will not cover what is known as “custodial care”, or care that involves assistance with the activities of daily living, like bathing and dressing. The length of time for which Medicare will cover skilled nursing facility medical care is also limited, but Medicare does provide some coverage for hospice care and for PACE, or Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly. Still, because Medicare coverage is limited, it is wise to examine other options that are available for coverage of long-term care.

Other Long-Term Care Coverage Options

Of course, long-term care insurance is available to those who can afford it and for people who are relatively wealthy, there’s always the option of using one’s own savings to pay for long-term care. Most of us, however, are not wealthy. This is why it may be beneficial to consider Medicaid planning. Medicaid may pay for some long-term care or nursing home expenses, but it will usually only do so after you have used up a large part of your savings to pay for this care. A long-term care lawyer can help you plan your finances so that most of your assets are protected in a trust or a similar arrangement and you can benefit from Medicaid to cover some of the long-term care costs while keeping more of your financial assets.

Call to Schedule a Consultation With a Kentucky Long-Term Care Lawyer Today

If you are concerned about how you will pay for long-term care for yourself or a loved one, call to schedule a consultation with a Kentucky long-term care lawyer today. The experienced legal staff at The Jaeger Firm will evaluate your unique financial situation and help you discover what options are available for covering the costs of long-term care. For more information, contact The Jaeger Firm at 859-342-4500  and speak to one of our friendly and helpful staff.  We serve the cities of Erlanger, Edgewood, Union and surrounding Kenton County and Boone County communities and we look forward to helping you learn more about how you can pay for long-term care.